I’ve seen quite a few people who want to use the Mele A1000 – or its brother the Mele A2000 – media player as a server (Sacrilege!). Since recent ARM servers are running Ubuntu 12.04, and Tom Gall has (conveniently) posted the live-build config necessary to generate Ubuntu 12.04 Server image this week, I thought I’d give it a try on Mele A1000.
The image generated is a headless system running Apache 2 and sshd (openssh_server). I’ll detail the steps I followed to generate this image first, so if you just want to try the SD card image, scroll down at the end of the post.
The first step is to generate Ubuntu Linaro Server rootfs, by following the Live-Build instructions on Linaro website together with Tom’s live build config. I’ve followed those steps in a machine running Ubuntu 12.04.
Let’s install the required packages:
- Suse: Question. What do you call second-place in ARM enterprise server linux? Answer: Red Hat
- Canonical Brings Its Ubuntu OpenStack and Ceph Offerings to 64-bit ARM Servers
- Gain access to an ARM server running Linux OS, through the cloud
- $599 Softiron Overdrive 1000 Server is Powered by AMD Opteron A1100 64-bit ARM Processor
- On the Performance of ARM Virtualization